[open-science] Mathematicians aim to take publishers out of publishing

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 13:58:36 UTC 2013

I think It's very interesting. I've been wondering why the cost of
publishing in open access journals is so high - often over £1000, even for
online-only journals. They're aiming to reduce the costs dramatically, to
the point where they're talking about getting funding directly for the
system, and making publication free.

It's also struck me that we don't really need papers to be uniformly
formatted, and citations in strictly controlled formats. We just need a
legible document, and citations that we can quickly look up.

Thomas