[open-science] [Open-access] Fwd: [GOAL] Fwd: Business, Innovation and Skills Committee announces inquiry into Open Access

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Fri Jan 18 15:46:13 UTC 2013

Out of interest does anyone know why we are having all of these
renewed consultations and inquiries?

I know there has been quite a lot of behind the scenes lobbying against the
Finch proposals from publishers, learned societies and others.

I wonder if these consultations and inquiries are related to these
complaints and criticisms? If so I wonder whether it would be worth very
publicly restating the case for Finch?

J.

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 3:14 PM, Ross Mounce <ross.mounce at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 18 January 2013 13:25, Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> More UK requests for information on Open Access! These are likely to
>> destroy various PhD/DPhils if we keep trying to answer them all... But we
>> have to
>>

> Exactly.
>
> Given I just submitted something lengthy yesterday to the House of Lords
> inquiry, I'm alarmed that the "witness guidance" PDF for this new BIS call
> for evidence states:
>

> "Respondees are requested not to submit copies of responses to other
> consultations or to the Finch Report"
>
> I feel slightly cheated having submitted some of my 'best' to the House of
> Lords inquiry. I have half a mind to make this point in my BIS submission.
>  I think I will now have to re-word, re-arrange and re-focus.
>
> Above all we must not be put off from airing our legitimate views and
> evidence.
>

> Ross

Jonathan Gray <http://jonathangray.org/> | @jwyg <http://twitter.com/jwyg>
The Open Knowledge Foundation <http://okfn.org/> |