[open-science] Mathematicians aim to take publishers out of publishing

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Jan 18 17:20:57 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 1:58 PM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think It's very interesting. I've been wondering why the cost of
> publishing in open access journals is so high - often over £1000, even for
> online-only journals. They're aiming to reduce the costs dramatically, to
> the point where they're talking about getting funding directly for the
> system, and making publication free.
>
> It's also struck me that we don't really need papers to be uniformly
> formatted, and citations in strictly controlled formats. We just need a
> legible document, and citations that we can quickly look up.

I would argue (and I will) that publisher typesetting and formatting
destroys information and accessibility. It has no point and adds (probably)
50-100+ USD per paper in direct charges. There are many other costs - do we
need a publisher sales force to tell me what to read? Do we need lawyers to
stop us reading papers? Or paywall managers...

P.