[open-science] Mathematicians aim to take publishers out of publishing

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 17:22:13 UTC 2013

On 18 January 2013 17:07, Jack Park <jackpark at gmail.com> wrote:

> Some structure in documents is quite useful when viewed through the
> lens of harvesting the text documents into other structured
> representations such as ontologies, issue maps, topic maps.

Undoubtedly. But I'm sure there are more efficient ways to achieve that
than paying a bunch of humans to go through every document manually
applying precise formatting criteria.

Maybe there's an opportunity for better writing software, that maintains
more of the semantics of the document. In my field (biology), papers are
still mostly written in MS Word (or Libreoffice, for the few Linux users).
Latex would be a better starting point, but it needs to be something that
looks like it will make life easier, not something that looks like a
technical chore. I've tried LyX, which is along the right lines, but it's
not quite fluid enough.

Thomas