[open-science] IPCC report

Couture Marc marc.couture at teluq.ca
Wed Oct 2 15:09:25 UTC 2013

Daniel suggests the following for the crowdcrafting application:

> * Each citizen is given a reference. and asked "can you read this"
>
> […]
>
> * they click questions such as "is this paper on a public site?" "is it the publisher
> site?" "can you access the full-text?" "if not, how much does it cost?" "please save
> the URL"

I don’t know if this forum is the right place to discuss these details; maybe one should put up an EtherPad or Google Doc  to that effet. Anyway, I’ll go ahead.

I don’t have any concrete experience with crowdcrafting, only a knowledge derived from reading about some projects, mainly Galaxy Zoo, and I had a look at Ross Mounce’s app for OA journals copyright policies (a subject I know very well).

All I can say is that different people will come up with different answers to these questions; some will find an OA version, others won’t. And I know, because I do it on a regular basis for a journal, that OA versions are sometimes quite hard to find.

My point is that I don’t know what would be the quality of a survey in which each reference is checked by only one person. In Galaxy Zoo, for instance, they combine answers from many participants and empirically determined thresholds (number of participants and % of agreement) for an answer to be considered reliable (in their case, as reliable as what would be obtained by a trained astrophysicist).

Marc Couture