[open-science] Fake Cancer study published in 157 Open Access Journals

Egon Willighagen egon.willighagen at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 08:33:56 UTC 2013

On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 10:16 AM, Jenny Molloy <jcmcoppice12 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for sharing! It would have been nice to see a comparison to
> acceptance rates by closed access journals, as one commenter further down
> the article points out, peer review problems are not OA specific.

But the abstract singles out OA journals:

"A spoof paper concocted by Science reveals little or no scrutiny at
many open-access journals."

At the very least, this summary is suggestive, and otherwise very
uninformative. This is not scientific reporting, and generally
referred to as FUD. The argumentation is just wrong, and I find it
rather ironic that a journal accepts a paper with clear flaws in the
argumentation that did a sting with a paper with this issue.

Conclusions they could have made: peer review does not work. But that
they do not state.

So, FUD. Let's move on.

Egon

--