[open-science] Fake Cancer study published in 157 Open Access Journals

Brian Hole brian.hole at ubiquitypress.com
Fri Oct 4 17:07:44 UTC 2013

I think this is where professional associations like OASPA have a critical
role to play. Publishers can only join if they can show that they are
reputable and follow best practice, and this needs to be monitored and
responsive to community feedback. If a publisher is a member, this should
give authors and others confidence in the journal's procedures and metrics.
While some OASPA members were caught out in this 'sting', the organisation
is investigating this and working to see what it can do to ensure good
conduct, all positive steps to ensure higher quality.

It was interesting that despite sending the sting article out to plenty of
newspapers, the author/Science were not willing to share it with OASPA
equally in advance despite repeated requests. To my mind this is a further
indication that the intention was much more to portray OA in a negative
light than to present a balanced analysis, and to put the OA community on
the back foot as much as possible.

Best,
Brian