[open-science] Fwd: Registry of Open Review Journals?

Carl Boettiger cboettig at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 17:03:01 UTC 2013

Such a list would certainly be nice.  In a similar vein, it would be nice
to see some greater clarity of terminology. When we refer to "Open Peer
Review", does this mean:

a) non-anonymous peer review
b) Publishing the review (potentially anonymously)
c) Both
d) any of the above

Discussion of this issue, including in the Wikipedia article, seems to
focus primarily on disclosure of reviewer identity. (Personally I would
prefer the emphasis to fall on publishing the review, anonymous or not).
 Do we have/need specific terms to distinguish between these options?

Another dimension here involves whether the 'open' aspect is mandatory or
optional, and to whom the option is given.  For instance, peerJ
[1<http://blog.peerj.com/post/43139131280/the-reception-to-peerjs-open-peer-review>]
gives the reviewers the option to sign their name (okay, this option always
exists implicitly, though I've had editors remove my signature before
sending my review to the authors), and gives authors the option publish the
reviews alongside the paper (whereby anonymous reviews appear as
"anonymous", and signed reviews are attributed,
(example<https://peerj.com/reviews/22/>)).
 Certainly this is open peer review, but rather different than the
mandatory system at, say, Biology Direct.  It would be nice for such a list
to reflect these differences.

Cheers,
Carl

[1]:
http://blog.peerj.com/post/43139131280/the-reception-to-peerjs-open-peer-review

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 9:03 AM, Florence Piron <
Florence.Piron at com.ulaval.ca> wrote:

> Début du message réexpédié :
>
> *De : *samir hachani <sam_hac1 at yahoo.fr>
> *
> *
> speaking of wikipedia, there is an entry to the subject
>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_peer_review
> SAMIR HACHANI
>
>   *De :* Florence Piron <Florence.Piron at com.ulaval.ca>
> *À :* Ulrich Herb <u.herb at scinoptica.com>
> *Cc :* samir hachani <sam_hac1 at yahoo.fr>
> *Envoyé le :* Jeudi 24 octobre 2013 13h27
> *Objet :* Re: [open-science] Registry of Open Review Journals?
>
> Hi
>
> Samir Hachani, from University of Alger, has just finished a dissertation
> about Open review. He could be a very good source of information.
> He's in CC.
>
> Florence Piron
> Canada
> Le 2013-10-24 à 11:08, Ulrich Herb a écrit :
>

> > Hello Mike,
> >

> > Yes, I also thought about creating such a list. I will be on holiday for
> > the next two weeks, after my return I will try to consider it more in
> > detail. btw: supporters would be welcome!
> >
> > best regards
> >
> > Ulrich
> >
> > Am 24.10.2013 13:56, schrieb Mike Taylor:
> >> I don't know of one. If no-one else comes up with one, perhaps you
> >> could start it? It needn't be a heavyweight project, maybe just a page
> >> in Wikipedia?
> >>
> >> -- Mike.

> any
> list

> > --
> > scinoptica Wissenschaftsberatung und Publikationsberatung
> > Postfach 10 13 13
> > D-66013 Saarbrücken
> > http://www.scinoptica.com/
>
> > +49-(0)157 30306851