[open-science] [Open-access] special issue on publishing reform in publication'?

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Sep 5 16:19:24 UTC 2013

This is a useful discussion point.

I stand by what I wrote - in the field of chemistry and materials my
analysis of the papers and the editorial board (of Molecules) seems fully
satisfactory. See http://www.mdpi.com/journal/molecules/editors which has
many people I know and many Nobel Laureates. The journal has been going for
17 years and I have no evidence that these people are on the board without
their knowledge.

ALL journals can have rogue papers. Some years ago J.A.C.S published a
paper on Sodium Hydride oxidation (sic)  whose argument was rubbish (
http://totallysynthetic.com/blog/?p=1903 . The blogosphere tore it to
shreds in 24 hours including repeating the experiment. No competent referee
could have allowed it through. Yet it took about three years for the ACS to
issue a retraction. I see no real difference with the current climate
science paper. Wiley published a worse one (in Proteomics, on the relation
of the soul (sic) to mitochondria
http://www.theguardian.com/science/blog/2008/feb/13/thankstocjv5040forputting).
I myself have been been on the editorial board of a journal and asked
review an appalling paper - I said on no account should it go through - and
it did.

So it isn't appropriate to criticise a publisher on one bad paper. Who
knows, it may even get retracted. (I haven't read it). It may even be an
appropriate viewpoint even if not mainstream.

Some publishers have complete journals which are rubbish and which break
all the rules of peer-review. One Elsevier example is
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elsevier#Chaos.2C_Solitons_.26_Fractals where
hundreds of unacceptable papers have been published. But that wouldn't stop
me publishing with Elsevier. (I have stopped for other more valid reasons).

I have no evidence one way or another than MDPI has more or less
unacceptable journals and papers than any other.

For any journal I would be concerned if there was widespread documented
malpractice which had been reported and no action had been taken. And if
this were true for a number of journals from a publisher I could be
concerned for the publisher. I have no evidence of this in this case.