[open-science] CC-BY

Luke Winslow lawinslow at wisc.edu
Tue Sep 3 14:48:58 UTC 2013

This kind of thing has been happening for a while. It is a natural
consequence of open licenses. Wikipedia has been re-packaged and sold
many times
<http://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/2010/04/06/wikipedia-pod-a-flooded-amazon-the-endless-spigot-at-alpha-and-betascript-publishing/>.
While I can't find an example, popular open source software has fallen
prey from time to time, being repackaged and sold to uninformed
consumers who don't realize there are cost-free versions available.

I would argue this new world requires more of the consumer. Be savvy. Do
a little google research. There's no going back to simpler times, the
complexity is here to stay.

-Luke

On 2013-09-03 9:08 AM, Klaus Graf wrote:
> http://blogs.ubc.ca/chendricks/2013/08/31/troubling-open-access-cc-by/
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Klaus Graf

Limnology and Marine Science