[open-science] [Open-access] CC-BY - correction

Luke Winslow lawinslow at wisc.edu
Wed Sep 4 22:04:21 UTC 2013

Wow, that is interesting. I am curious how I, as the author holding
copyright over my article, could be bound by an outside agreement. I
guess it might be like a non-disclosure agreement. I could write
something down, which I reasonably hold copyright on and still be bound
by a separate agreement stating I *can't* do certain things with my
writing. Right? Am I interpreting this situation correctly?

Clearly, the choice of open access license is extremely important.
Knowing what I know now, I would be extremely inclined to never use
anything other than CC-BY.

-Luke

On 2013-09-04 4:25 PM, Fabiana Kubke wrote:
> Sent querie to a couple of copyright lawyers - Will respond when I get
> their answers back. But yes, I think that in the end once one signs
> that exclusive licence to Elsevier (something authors can do since
> they own the copyright) then that is it. It is also  odd in thereuse
> table
> <http://www.elsevier.com/about/publishing-guidelines/policies/open-access-policies/oa-license-policy>that
> only one of those "no" has an asterisk saying "excpet for the author"
> which implies authors have none of the other rights that have a green
> tick (despite being the owners of the copyright). So seems that
> restrictions that are designed for third parties apply to authors -
> which to me sounds like pure nonsense.
>

> Cheers
> Fabiana
>

> On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 6:24 AM, Couture Marc <marc.couture at teluq.ca
> <mailto:marc.couture at teluq.ca>> wrote:
>
>     In my answer to Luke Winslow (see complet post below), I wrote:
>
>     >
>     > there could be a contradiction here, because the normal definition
>     > of an exclusive license is that no other license covering the same
>     > rights can be granted to another party
>     >

>     I checked the terms of Elsevier exclusive license, and it seems
>     there is in fact no such contradiction, because Elsevier is first
>     granted all the rights (by way of the exclusive license with the
>     author), and then is the one who applies the CC license (letting
>     the author decide which version).
>
>     Normally, it's the copyright owner who applies a CC license to a
>     work, but a licensee having been granted all the rights is the one
>     who is intitled to do it (and the author has lost any control in
>     this regard).
>
>     This again illustrates that copyright ownership may mean next to
>     nothing when a publisher asks for an exclusive license, instead of
>     copyright transfer.
>
>     Marc Couture

Limnology and Marine Science
University of Wisconsin - Madison