[open-science] [Open-access] CC-BY - correction

Fabiana Kubke mf.kubke at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 00:29:26 UTC 2013

Response from lawyer #1

"You retain copyright, but that just gives you the right to be properly
attributed and get credit, i.e. you retain the moral rights.  But what you
can do with the work is the same as any other user under the CC licence,
which means that you cannot publish and distribute that work, beyond the
scholarly rights to create certain derivative works."

So, it looks like in the Elsevier model you pay for the CC-licence, and
then give up all author's rights to only retain "users rights" (and the
standard authors rights for scholarly use). Apparently one also gives up
the right to distribute the work even under CC-BY  (and by extension it
would seem this is a right that users also wouldn't have) and I think that
is a big right to give up.

This seems like nonsense to me - my human readable version of this is "pay
me to get a cc-licence and then give me back most of your author rights for
free."  Going in my list of "not worth your money" OA journals I think.