[open-science] Fwd: [DIYbio] Seeking Open Source Licence for new biotech method

sheila miguez shekay at pobox.com
Tue Sep 17 15:21:07 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I'm replying to the mailing list I'm on. I just wanted to reply despite not
knowing much about patent law because I am hoping you don't need to patent
something to protect it, and would like you to consider this before
resorting to a patent.

You can select friendly licenses that have no restrictions on them for use,
which would not relate to a patent or lack thereof. patent != license.

Instead of patenting something to protect it, could you publish it to
establish it as prior work so that no one can patent it after you've
published it?

Are there legal precedents to show that this strategy would work?

These are the questions I'd ask myself before resorting to a patent.

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 1:47 PM, Bryan Bishop <kanzure at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Brian Cady <briancady413 at yahoo.com>
> Date: Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 1:42 PM
> Subject: [DIYbio] Seeking Open Source Licence for new biotech method
> To: diybio at googlegroups.com
> Cc: briancady413 at yahoo.com
>

> I'm patenting a genetic engineering method so that I can make it freely
> available through an open source licence. Does anyone know of good open
> source licences for intellectual property, so that this concept, and any
> others that use it, will remain in the commons, available to all?
>
> Brian Cady, of BOSSLab.org

> "DIYbio" group.
> email to diybio+unsubscribe at googlegroups.com.
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.