[open-science] Google Summer of Code 2014 options?
egon.willighagen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 11:50:27 UTC 2014
another year, another Google Summer of Code. And again it is possible
to work on Open Source tools in the area of chemistry.
Below are a few things that I have spotted. What else is out there?
* NRNB mentoring organization 
- Cytoscape has a chemical structure viz plugin based on the CDK that
- PathVisio has a chemical structure viz plugin based on the CDK that
- There is a project idea to integrate Cytoscape into Bioclipse
- There is a project idea to integrate PathVisio into Bioclipse
* VTK mentoring organization 
- various chemistry related ideas
* ScaffoldHunter (GPLv3) 
- no specific ideas, but based on the CDK, and could use updating to CDK 1.5
The above list is pretty much chemistry oriented, but there are many
other scientific domains represented among the 190 mentoring
Maybe we can also have a blog post on the OKFN network about this?
Timing is tight... there is one week left for students to discuss
project ideas and start working on applications (there will be
ranking, and the position are awarded to the best candidates...) as
the submission deadline is March 21. See
Department of Bioinformatics - BiGCaT
Maastricht University (http://www.bigcat.unimaas.nl/)
More information about the open-science