[open-science] Crucially overlooked Ebola research article is paywalled at... Elsevier

Paweł Szczęsny ps at pawelszczesny.org
Wed Apr 15 20:26:21 UTC 2015

As the main point of this discussion was using Ebola outbrake as a
support for the statement "closed access kills", let me address some
of the arguments.

1. I don't care about political statements made by politicians. I care
about political statements made by scientists, because if the
statement is easy to falsify or easy to show that it's unscientific,
it undermines the credibility of the scientific community as a whole.
Politicians speak for themselves (kind of). Scientists speak for the
community. That's why harm done by people like Wakefield (of
vaccine-autism link) extends way beyond their particular study. Are
you willing to sacrifice credibility of the community for the sake of
pushing OA? Why?

2. Study on hypothesis "Closed access kills" does not require
unethical research - retrospective study is not something uncommon in
medicine. Studies on medical errors are showing that knowledge-related
constitute ca. 5% of all medical errors (Dovey et al, 2002), but
interestingly physicians retrospectively make wrong diagnosis again,
even if they have all the knowledge required for making correct one
(Kostopoulou et al, 2009). Also, if you factor iatrogenesis in
(expressed for example as overdiagnosis), in some fields of medicine
netto effect of OA might be negative. Nevertheless, such a study seems
feasible, and certainly ethical.

3. Some of you merged systemic problems of scientific communication,
peer-review, and what not with OA. OA does not solve all problems,
only some. Especially in medicine, with fast progress in some fields,
the shear amount of papers makes it easy to overlook something. That's
why portals like Medscape (free, not open) are so popular.

4. Peter's "political" statement on openness that would prevent
wasting money spent on research can be backed up by science. Remember
Sommer's "Delay in sharing research data is costing lives" opinion in
Nat. Med? His opinion was based on study in conservation biology field
(O'Donell et al, 2010). Even rough assessment of data sharing delay in
medicine using the same methodology would be supporting Peter's
statement. Also, there are many indicators of well-being, healthcare
status knowledge dissemination or effectiveness of money spending.
People are linking money spent on music schools to crime rates -
succesfully. Really, this is not a rocket science. Talk to people of
evidence-based policy making. If "political" statement could be backed
by science, why we shouldn't do it or at least call for such research?

5. When it comes to making an impact, Tom Morris' comment is spot on.
I would only add a reference to a literature review (Pakenham-Walsh
and Bukachi, 2009) on information needs of healthcare workers in
Africa. Access to literature is indeed an issue, but more often access
to knowledge (especially in local language) has often a bigger impact.
The last time we had this discussion I offered an idea, that at least
in medicine, OA summaries of recent progress in healthcare translated
into 40 local languages would be more beneficial short term to
healthcare in poor countries, than giving them full access to research
literature (I have no doubts in the longer term that's the way to go).
And I declare, that I can help in drafting the proposal for OA medical
summaries and help in getting people on board. Maybe B&M Gates
Foundation would be willing to support it.