[open-science] Elsevier caught selling articles that should have been open access

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Mar 10 20:37:09 UTC 2015

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 8:00 PM, William Gunn <william.gunn at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Ok, just wanted to get that out there in response to Peter's assertion
> that NC licenses prevent use in teaching.
> On Mar 10, 2015 12:55 PM, "Andrés Delgado" <andres at delgado.ec> wrote:
>
>> On 10/03/15 14:53, William Gunn wrote:
>> > The point of CC licenses in general are to relieve one of the burden
>> > of getting permission, right? So, since the primary use isn't too
>> > obtain monetary compensation, one should feel free to use a NC
>> > licensed PDF in a classroom without having to ask permission, right?
>> Yeap, educational purposes are under fair-use I think, even copyrighted
>> material should be fine. But that's just an educated guess
>> FYI: https://wiki.creativecommons.org/Defining_Noncommercial

Educated guesses are of no value in Court. It is not me who has made this
assertion, it is a court in Germany - which can and has enforced penalties.
"Fair use" is only applicable in certain jurisdictions , primarily US - see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use. It has no formal place in English
law.