[open-science] Publishing curated email lists

Josh Nicholson jnicholson at thewinnower.com
Thu Jun 16 14:51:54 UTC 2016

Hello!

My name is Josh Nicholson and I am the founder of the Winnower, a scholarly publishing platform that provides traditional scholarly publishing tools (DOI, typesetting, archival, and Altmetrics) to non-traditional media including blogposts, reddit AMAs, class essays, grants, theses, reviews, responses to RFIs, lay summaries, journal clubs, and other new media so that it counts for the scholarly record and the scholar’s career.  We’ve been live for just over two years now and have 1220+ publications from universities around the world.

I wanted to reach out to this group about a potential idea that I had regarding publishing emails—yes, emails.  Recently, I have received a barrage of emails on another listserv (OSI) and while they are somewhat annoying in the sense they clog my inbox, they are highly valuable in terms of content.  In short, I am interested in seeing if members of this listserv may wish to have their public emails curated and published on the Winnower in more readable publication-like format—a storify of emails, if you will.

We’ve done something like this in the past with a panel talk https://thewinnower.com/papers/1468-when-publishers-aren-t-getting-it-done and I think we could do something like this going forward.

It’s just an idea at this point but if people are interested I can go ahead and curate any threads they think may be interesting to show you how it would look.  I am open to other ideas/suggestions too!

Would love to know your thoughts!

Best,
Josh

JOSHUA NICHOLSON