[open-science] Open Science Policy Platform - Open Science Working Group Representative

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Mar 22 00:33:46 UTC 2016

This is a list of items and occasions where I have worked with Jenny Molloy
on Open Science. It's probably not comprehensive!

As an undergraduate, running the international Triple Helix student science
community, she organized a meeting in Cambridge in 2009 on Open Source and
Open Access to which she invited me and other speakers to a large audience.
This meeting had a significant effect in promoting Openness in Cambridge.

Jenny helped launch the Panton Principles for Open Science Data in 2010 (
http://pantonprinciples.org/about/ ). This led to my ability to co-launch
the Panton Fellowships in 2012.

At that time she was a key member of the Open Knowledge Foundation's
Working Group on Open Science and organised informal meetings in Cambridge.
Later she spent 3 months in Open Knowledge sponsored by the UK BBSRC as
part of her Doctorate studies. She has organized projects in Africa with
IDRC and Open Science in CERN.

In 2014 she was awarded a Flash grant by the Shuttleworth Foundation which
is a mark of potential to become a future Fellow.

She also created two papers with me and others on Open content mining and
helped promote "the Right to Read is the Right to Mine". One with Open
Forum Europe -
http://www.openforumacademy.org/library/ofa-fellows-reference-library - and
the second a position paper
http://contentmine.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/responsible-content-mining-1.pdf

I believe these have gone a long way to set the scene in the current
European debate on reform to Copyright for mining.

In 2015 she gave an invited presentation to OpenCon in Brussels and  later
ran OpenCon Cambridge.

in 2014, when I was awarded a Shuttleworth Fellowship for ContentMine (a
project to liberate all scientific facts) I asked Jenny to be a key member
of the team and she is now Manager. She has managed the organization of the
project together over these years.

When she returned from Oxford, she took charge of two granted projects in
Plant Sciences, (Open) Synthetic Biology and Open Plant. She runs at least
three regular meetings in Cambridge, is a key member of the Cambridge
Makespace, runs events ranging from conservation to family Open Science. I
have known her run 7 events in 5 days.

Jenny achieves all this with a quiet competence so that we do not realise
how much work she puts in. Having worked closely with her I can testify how
hard she works.

Europe needs a good proportion of Early Career Researchers in the new Open
Science initiative. Objectively I can say that there is no other Early
Career Researcher in the world who has spent so much time on, and been so
effective in promoting, Openness than Dr Jenny Molloy.

Peter Murray-Rust
Reader Emeritus University of Cambridge
Shuttleworth Fellow Alumnus
ContentMine.org