[open-science] OpenCon 2016 Berlin 24-26th November 2016

Ross-Hellauer, Anthony ross-hellauer at sub.uni-goettingen.de
Wed Nov 2 17:01:15 UTC 2016

Dear list members,

ScienceOpen<https://www.scienceopen.com/>, OpenAIRE<https://www.openaire.eu/> and Digital Science<https://www.digital-science.com/> (with portfolio companies Figshare<https://figshare.com/> and Overleaf<https://www.overleaf.com/>) are pleased to announce that the programme for our OpenCon 2016 Berlin satellite event, to be held 24-26th November 2016, is now online. We hope you'll agree it's pretty awesome :)

OpenCon is the student and early career academic professional conference that focuses on Open Access, Open Education, and Open Data. It seeks to empower the next generation to advance openness in research and education. This event will form one of the many international satellite events of the bigger OpenCon 2016 <http://www.opencon2015.org/> conference that will take place two weeks earlier in Washington, DC. OpenCon satellite events are organised by those (like us!) who are passionate about communicating the important messages of Open Information with the world, and are welcome to anyone interested in joining the conversation and connecting with a community of like-minded individuals.

Our event kicks off on Thursday 24th Nov with an epic hackathon / collaborative coding event where, amongst other activities decided by YOU, we'll have a reproducibility hack where we attempt to reproduce the analysis and figures of a paper from the raw data! Our keynote speaker on Friday will be Julia Reda<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julia_Reda> MEP - a woman on a mission to reform copyright legislation. Alongside presentations and interesting talks made by those who have benefited and gained from open information, we'll run focused workshops on themes you'll choose via crowdsourcing. During the event, we will run a few short and themed focus group sessions; in each session we hope to start a conversation where people share advice and success stories about Open Science. Saturday will see discussion-groups whose themes we'll crowdsource during the event. Discussions and resources will be collated via open documents like etherpads and collected as outputs.

For the programme, and to RSVP to join the more than 100(!) participants who have already signed up for the event, see here: http://www.opencon2016.org/opencon_2016_berlin

Best, Tony

Dr. Tony Ross-Hellauer
OpenAIRE<https://www.openaire.eu/> Scientific Manager