[open-science] How to publish a law PhD thesis

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Oct 13 14:48:35 UTC 2016

On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 3:36 PM, Benedikt Fecher <fecher at hiig.de> wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
>
> a colleague and friend of mine wants to publish his PhD thesis in law
> online in an open format.

Good! well done, your colleague.

There may be constraints from the institution (University). Some are keen
on Open Access, some are not so keen.

> As typical in this field of research, the thesis consists only of text (no
> figures or tables, etc.) with a lot of footnotes. In addition, lawyers
> typically reference page numbers. Therefore, it would be helpful to have
> those in the document.
>
> Which format would you recommend? Is PDF really the way to go? A solution
> that is as open as possible while still convenient is much appreciated.

Personally I would write in Word/TeX (or even more semantic/modular
approaches) if possible. The institution may insist on PDF but should also
allow deposition of  other formats. PDF is not good for machines to read.

> In addition, does anyone have a suggestion for a platform?

The University should have a repository which preserves and exposes the
thesis. Typical technologies are ePrints/DSpace/Fedora - the uNiversity
will have chosen on eof this. It shouldn't matter to your colleague.

> Since I myself did not have a really statisfying answer, I thought I use
> the wisdom of the crowd in this list.

Talk to the library - they should know.