[open-science] How to publish a law PhD thesis

Pieter Colpaert pieter.colpaert at okfn.org
Thu Oct 13 18:45:36 UTC 2016

Hi Benedikt and Lyubomir,

For my own PhD, in the field of open data publishing on the Web, I take
an example to this PhD, published in HTML:
https://ruben.verborgh.org/phd/. This PhD book was first written in
Latex for print and later exported and tweaked to HTML. I mainly like
how it contains links to specific chapters so that you can easily share
a link to a specific part of the thesis. Cool thing that it also
contains CSS rules for when you print it.

Another example would be the dissertation of Roy Fielding written 16
years ago: http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/pubs/dissertation/top.htm

If you have even more time: for the HTML version of my own PhD I'm also
using RDFa tags (https://rdfa.info/) within HTML to define how I'm
citing a certain work. E.g., I may agree with something, disagree,
dispute, etc. The CITO vocabulary I'm using can be found over here:
http://vocab.ox.ac.uk/cito

Kind regards,

Pieter

On 13-10-16 16:46, Lyubomir Penev wrote:

> Hi Benedikt,
>
> You may look perhaps at the Research Ideas and Outcomes
> <riojournal,com> (RIO) Journal? Please let me know if you have questions.
>
> And yes, the PDF would be the least desired format for an open science
> publication, of course.
>
> Regards
>
> Lyubomir
>

> On 10/13/2016 5:36 PM, Benedikt Fecher wrote:
>> Dear colleagues,
>>
>> a colleague and friend of mine wants to publish his PhD thesis in law
>> online in an open format.
>>
>> As typical in this field of research, the thesis consists only of
>> text (no figures or tables, etc.) with a lot of footnotes. In
>> addition, lawyers typically reference page numbers. Therefore, it
>> would be helpful to have those in the document.
>>
>> Which format would you recommend? Is PDF really the way to go? A
>> solution that is as open as possible while still convenient is much
>> appreciated.
>>
>> In addition, does anyone have a suggestion for a platform?
>>
>> Since I myself did not have a really statisfying answer, I thought I
>> use the wisdom of the crowd in this list.
>>
>> Thank you very much and best regards
>> benedikt

> Prof. Dr. Lyubomir Penev
> Managing Director