[open-science] Fwd: Let us denonce the pseudo-open Public Library of Science

Paola Di Maio paola.dimaio at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 06:26:34 UTC 2017

Hi Heather

I have researched this kind of paradoxes extensively, including in my PhD
thesis (2012) [1]

I have concluded that what you and I perceive as 'hypocrisy' can be called
'systemic deviation'  and ' pragmatic gap', which I explain charachterised
and defined in some of my talks.

Fundamentally, the problem can be broken down to a lack of integration and
consistency between the policies and the practice

The solution I propose to tackle this kind of paradox is a clearer and
stronger integration between value statements (policies) and technical
implementations (how things are done in practice), At the moment policy and
practice are handled as separate things by separate departments in most
organisation, using different logic - as if the left hand does not know
what the right hand is doing

Organisational processes are deliberately designed like that, so that they
can be double facing. This has to change.

Maybe work to be done

PDM

[1] http://ethos.bl.uk/OrderDetails.do?uin=uk.bl.ethos.597113

[image: --]