[open-science] Elsevier are telling "mis-truths" about the extent of paywalled open access

Heather Morrison Heather.Morrison at uottawa.ca
Tue Feb 21 16:19:48 UTC 2017

Ok to go back to Emanuil's first two sentences:

Elsevier is selling a service, "we will make your article available as an OA article for X money". The money is transferred. Elsevier fails to provide the service within a reasonable timeline. (Alicia from Elsevier tries to explain why in a comment on http://rossmounce.co.uk/2017/02/14/elsevier-selling-access-to-open-access-again/ by the way.)

Questioning the mechanics of "we will make your article available as an OA article for X money" has value in its own right. However, it's not necessary for us to have the exact contract used in order to discuss the publisher not making the article OA and what we can do about it. The mechanics will matter in court, but I doubt any of us or the article's author are about to sue Elsevier over this particular one.

To sum: there may well be a breach of contract. If order to prove this in court, someone needs to pursue this in court, and to prove a breach of contract, it will be necessary to provide a contract.

If authors have used funds for OA, it may be simpler for all involved for funders to insist that these articles be deposited in an open access repository, even the ones that have already been published.

The reason why CC licensing is relevant is because there is an assumption that if funder policy demands CC-BY, this is sufficient to ensure open access. This case is a good one to reflect on the wisdom of this approach.

best,

Heather Morrison

On 2017-02-21, at 11:06 AM, Tom Morris <tfmorris at gmail.com<mailto:tfmorris at gmail.com>>