[open-science] OKFN Open Science Mailing List will close on 31 Jan 2020 - where to next?

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 20:22:34 UTC 2020

Ted Strauss, 24/01/20 18:36:
> The archives of the listserv have always been public, albeit hard to
> find. Messages posted by people who later left the listserv are
> available. Archiving the history on another platform doesn't change that.
> Please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

For what it's worth, I agree with you. It's important to distinguish
different things: the HTML archives;  the mbox archives; the
(semi)private data like subscribed addresses and passwords.

For instance, with the public HTML archives I'd argue copyright is the
only consideration (and there's an implicit copyright license). The
content was meant to be public and shared; the name and address of the
senders is necessary for attribution and therefore can be processed on
the "legal obligation" basis
<https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/law-topic/data-protection/reform/rules-business-and-organisations/legal-grounds-processing-data/grounds-processing/when-can-personal-data-be-processed_en>.
(This is meant just as an illustration; OKFN of course knows better and
will tell us what they determine.)

Federico