[Open-transport] Semi-open (non free for commercial use) data

Pieter Colpaert pieter.colpaert at okfn.org
Sat May 3 09:05:57 UTC 2014

Hi Stéphane,

It's way too hard to describe what "data available for non commercial
use" actually means. If done in this way, you will end up with a license
where every kind of reuse remains in the gray zone, and thus we cannot
accept that.

The best response I have found so far for data owners thinking in this
direction is: You have to keep advertising yourself as the data
owner/maintainer. Open Data is publishing all the (public) data you
have, but... this comes without warranty. If data owners want a certain
warranty, you can charge them for it. This is a better model than
commercial/non-commercial use.

Kind regards,

Pieter

On 2014-05-02 22:52, Stéphane Guidoin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Recently I was discussing with some transportation organization here
> in Canada that was weighting the option of semi-open data with a
> double licence allow free access for non-commercial use and fee based
> for commercial use.
>
> The person I was discussing with said the some european organization
> are using that model but was not able to point some concrete example.
>
> So questions to the wisdom of the group:
> - Does anybody have some example of two-tiers licences
> - If yes, does anybody had a look to the boundary of "commercial" (e.g
> does a web-app with some ads is commercial?).
>
> To me the definition of "commercial" is not very well defined when it
> comes to open data.
>
> Good week end!
>
> Steph

+32 486 74 71 22