[Open-transport] first data from Open Delays (BE, IT, UK) + next steps

Peter Hicks peter.hicks at poggs.co.uk
Fri Nov 14 16:31:43 UTC 2014

On 14/11/14 00:02, Raphael du Cheyron Calvelli wrote:
> We are glad to announce that OpenDelays
> <http://wemove.center/joomla/index.php/blog/item/104-open-delays> is
> now running in 3 EU countries! We are here all impressed by what
> Samuel, with help of the community, has done in few days.
>
> Train delays in Italy, Belgium and the UK are now being gathered in
> our databases. See CSV samples: Belgium
> <https://nl.owncube.com/public.php?service=files&t=aaea2826cacf2fc64d1f1a1048e65090>,
> Italy
> <https://nl.owncube.com/public.php?service=files&t=a697fcc7cae45d2bbab5c17d1b77bd71>,
> UK
> <https://nl.owncube.com/public.php?service=files&t=8ebc160b578a00b04349d19e9ba133d7>
> + code on Source Forge <https://sourceforge.net/projects/opendelays/>.
> We would like also to show you some nice graphics, do you have any
> idea how to make MySQL-based graphics ?
I like it!  A few comments about the ones based on Network Rail data:

   * There are some Class 5 trains in the list - they're empty passenger
trains which don't carry passengers whilst they're moving between depots
and sidings
   * Some stations don't always report departures due to the way the
signalling is set up
   * There are trains for operator 'ZZ' in the list - those are
non-passenger trains
   * Ships and buses are included, but they aren't subject to the
performance regime and their arrivals/departures aren't reported
   * Officially, we define a delay as a change in lateness - and the
industry investigates delays rather than lateness

I will forward this on to some people I work with in Network Rail who
will be interested to see your work!

Let me know if I can be of help with the GB-side of this.

Peter