[Open-transport] API for Deutsche Bahn Fernverkehr schedules

Aleksei Valikov valikov at gmx.net
Sun Feb 28 16:33:12 UTC 2016

Hi,

There's a subtle difference between "Google gets GTFS from DB" and "DB
publishes GTFS".
Per definition, "to publish is to make content available to the general
public" which is not the case here.

Concerning "no use at all". Are there any other legal ways to access DB
timetables programmatically at the moment? None to my knowledge.
Things like PTE or similar are actually not legal (but are "tolerated").

Concerning the quality of the API. As far as I know, the whole thing was
done just in a few days.
The API will be used on the upcoming Hackathon in Frankfurt (
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/hackathonholm-2016-gateway-fra-tickets-20917130701),
this was an absolute rush action. So be merciful. :)
Yep, it looks like a pragmatic SOAP-to-JSON-and-lets-call-it-REST port. But
it's definitely something that can be improved.

This API is a major victory for DB Open Data.

Best wishes,
Alexey