[open-visualisation] Software to generate timelines for print?

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Fri Aug 21 13:03:48 UTC 2009

The Simile suite is great - but I'm not sure this would work so well
for print. See:

  http://simile.mit.edu/issues/browse/TIMELINE-18

If nothing like this exists I wonder if it would be possible to devole
an extension for Simile, or a plugin for Open Office, Inkscape, etc.
to help produce nice timelines for print. Basically something to put
events in some standard syntax that could be output into PDF, Open
Office, SVG, HTML, etc (perhaps with thematic colour coding). I
imagine this could also be useful for educational purposes, for people
working on textbooks and so on.

I've been speaking with my friend Ben, who would also like to see
something like this for his work, and we're thinking of specing this
out. Perhaps we could start a proposal on Cofundos? I'd definitely be
willing to chip in a bid to help with development.

  http://www.cofundos.org/

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Gray