[wdmmg-dev] Antw.: Compare-o-Tron B

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org
Fri Jul 8 10:59:17 UTC 2011

Hi Gregor,

On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 12:47 PM, Gregor Aisch <mail at driven-by-data.net> wrote:
> Re-using the bubbles would be the easiest part, think. Petri-dish is easy if
> the numbers of bubbles stays in a reasonable range.

Thats an interesting statement, I do think we also need to plan for
the "unreasonable range" use case somehow. The "US defence vs. foreign
aid" thing, basically. One interesting pro feature for v2 btw would be
to group items in the browser, e.g. to be able to drag an drop one
bubble into another one ("I want all social welfare but thats 5 items,
so I'll manually stack them"). This also raises the need for
parent-child relationship detection once more, but for the initial
version I'd put that in the GIGO/User Error column.

> But I definitely also want other visualizations built in the first version
> of the compare-o-tron. Bubbles have some aesthetic value, especially when
> combined with good colors and icons, but they make it very hard to compare
> actual amounts. Therefore I strongly suggest adding some alternative views
> like a bar chart and a treemap and giving the user the possibility to change
> view at any time.

Yeah, bar charts would be good, while Treemaps IMO introduce the idea
of "a whole" that we need to get right then (i.e. have 60% of the
treemap gray, and then a 39% box for defence and a 1% box for aid). If
we do 1 vs. 1 bar charts (i.e. one bar with different color sections
and a line in the middle), we get the "planned vs actual spending" vis
half done at the same time. This is one is second on my very personal
todo list :-)

- Friedrich