[wdmmg-dev] Proposed model overhaul

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org
Wed Oct 5 11:31:06 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 1:22 PM, Martin Keegan <martin.keegan at okfn.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 11:59 AM, Friedrich Lindenberg
> <friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org> wrote:
>
>>> The proposed scheme involves generating a schema which has an X_entry
>>> table, and one table per taxonomy. Are we calling all of the following
>>> things taxonomies:
>>>
>>> 1) COFOG
>>> 2) entities (in our current sense of transactional endpoint / graph node)
>>> 3) classification schemes used only a single dataset (e.g., "AccountGroup")
>>>
>>> and would they all give rise to table in your proposal?
>>
>> Yes & yes. (Note we're talking about taxonomy names, not dimension names.)
>
> Ah yes, that's a good point.
>
> So, AccountGroup above would have been the name of some column in the
> CSV file. Would we make up a taxonomy name to describe the valid
> values which can appear in the dimension, rather than leave it out?

I think so. So you'd have an AccountGroup column in the source file
and map it like this:

"mapping": {
   "account_group": {
      "type": "classy fire",
      "label": "Account Group",
      "taxonomy": "accountgroups",
      "fields": [
           {"name": "name", "column": "AccountGroup", "datatype": "id"},
           {"name": "label", "column": "AccountGroup", "datatype": "string"}
      ]
   }
}

This will generate an "accountgroups" table and an accountgroups_id
column on the facts.

- Fr.

--
Open Knowledge Foundation