[openspending-dev] Returning datasets' templates through the API

Vitor Baptista vitor at vitorbaptista.com
Wed Aug 8 23:52:56 UTC 2012

Hi,

I'm playing with the idea of using templates to define how a dataset's
entries are shown on the global search page (
http://openspending.org/datasets/entries), but I found a interesting
problem.

The issue is that we need a good way to show search results, and as there's
no standard columns for the dataset, we can't figure out what are the
important ones. Showing everything generates too much noise. Friedrich's
idea was to make the user able to create a mustache template for his/her
datasets, so he/she can decide what's important.

But, considering that we have those templates, how to get them from the
API? I think it doesn't make sense to put it as another attribute in
/api/2/search, because it's only relevant to openspending.org (is it?).

Creating a new API endpoint, or adding a new parameter to search, seems
like the best solution. What do you think?

Cheers!
Vítor.