[openspending-dev] Feedback on Dimensions Editor

Martin Keegan martin.keegan at okfn.org
Mon Jan 16 14:14:34 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 12:59 PM, Lucy Chambers <lucy.chambers at okfn.org> wrote:
> Dear Martin,
>
> As requested, feedback on the dimensions editor:

Thank you very much for trying this out.

> I was trialling with Hammersmith and Fulham.
>
> * Add New Dimension > Name Field : presuming this is ASCII only and no
> capitals or spaces allowed? There are still no hints to this effect.

Aha! There is indeed only such a message if you violate the rules, and
you get told to try again. That's trivial to improve.

> * Appears to have loaded fully however in 'Dataset View' spender and
> recipient columns are blank, even though the paid_by and paid_to
> dimensions appear to have loaded. Did I name them incorrectly?

Ah, yeah. Allowing people to choose the dimension names freely doesn't
mix so well with the fact that some of the names are magic.

You need to call them "to" and "from".

> I will play more once I know the answers to these bits.

Cheers. Please put comments on ticket #273 in github (you weren't
supposed to have known that)

Mk