[openspending-dev] [OpenSpending] Representing multiple years of budget data

Lucy Chambers lucy.chambers at okfn.org
Mon Oct 22 08:58:23 UTC 2012

Hi Maurice,

Moving this discussion over to the OpenSpending-dev list
(http://lists.okfn.org/mailman/listinfo/openspending-dev) as that is
where we are currently talking about OpenSpending software issues!

On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 2:58 PM, Maurice McNaughton
<mlmcnaughton at gmail.com> wrote:
> When adding data for multiple budget years to Open Spending, the graphical
> widgets (embedded html) for the Tree Map and Bubble tree don't readily
> represent year as a navigatable dimension. In fact the Bubble Tree presents
> the entire cumulative budget for all years, while the Tree map doesn't
> present any option of viewing individual years. Is there any way to include
> year as a selectable option in these widgets?

Tree Map: We don't currently have a slider as part of the widget, but
we may need to at some point, others have requested this. However, you
can focus in on a particular year by using the filters when setting up
the visualisation. You'll only be able to see one year at a time,
however, that should solve your issue.

> Also how does one navigate back up a hierarchical Tree Map. Once your drill
> down in the hierarchy, there doesn't seem to be any intuitive way to return
> to the upper level of the hierarchy without doing an html refresh?

We're working on this, it was raised last week as well. A couple of
suggestions we have had include right-clicking, but we want to find a
way to do this that doesn't involve changing default browser
behaviour. We have some thoughts, including options on rollover, a
hyperlink just outside the canvass, but if you have other ideas for
what you would like to see, please do let us know!

Lucy