[openspending-dev] D3.js Sankey diagram for OpenSpending

Anders Pedersen anders.pedersen at okfn.org
Tue Aug 6 21:28:22 UTC 2013

Hi Felix,

Really great to see your update and look forward for us to post your guide
on the blog!

A few comments below:

On 6 August 2013 12:17, José Félix Ontañón <felixonta at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Openpending folks!
>
> I was hacking for a while with D3.js visualizations for a small project[1]
> about University's budgetary transparency[2] in Spain.
>
> Anders Pedersen challenged me to built a D3.js Sankey diagram on the top
> of OpenSpending API, and first steps, so far, an R script[3] that queries
> OpenSpending API and produces a D3.js Sankey's json input file.
>
> I'm documenting the details, in order to help people to reproduce it with
> their own OpenSpending datasets. Next steps, replace the R-script with a
> javascript glue-code: this way, changes on the data would be refreshed
> on-the-fly at the D3.js diagrams. Any help here would be welcomed.

Just looping in Michael and David, who just had a chat over D3 Sankey a few
days back. Would you have ideas?

I'm my humble view, an out-of-the-box D3.js visualizations using
> OpenSpending as a datawarehouse would be a fancy boost to the project. Am I
> wrong?

I think having tutorials and suggestions for scripts available in order to
expand the pool of visualisation tools that can be used with the
OpenSpending API is a huge step forward. So your contribution is really
awesome!

> Regards!
>
>  [1] http://openkratio.github.com/ugr-presupuestos/
> [2]