[openspending-dev] api key

Stefan Wehrmeyer stefan.wehrmeyer at okfn.org
Wed Aug 28 13:05:01 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

Nick Stenning is starting as technical director at OKF in September. He has plans, e.g. federated login for OKF is one of them.

He may have also ideas about API authentication and possibly how to centralize this across services(?).

I looped him in.

Cheers
Stefan

On 28.08.2013, at 14:15 , fukami <odn at foo.io> wrote:

> Hi Tryggvi!
>
> On 22.08.2013, at 10:06, Tryggvi Björgvinsson <tryggvi.bjorgvinsson at okfn.org> wrote:
>> On þri 20.ágú 2013 07:49, fukami wrote:
>>> In my point of view OpenID seems to be more robust. It's also better
>>> understood by devs and users (although it has also problems, i.e. it's
>>> more susceptible to stuff like phishing).
>>
>> I think since OpenID still relies on passwords it wouldn't be suitable,
>> at least not for an API interface. It might actually be worth looking
>> into supporting OpenID as a login mechanism for OpenSpending.
>
> You are right: OAuth is much better suitable for APIs than OpenID.
>
>>> But I can help with a review if you like.
>>
>> Since OpenSpending is an open source project we still go by the rule of
>> thumb that implementor gets to choose how a problem is solved. Those
>> solutions can't be rejected unless they are insecure, introduce bugs,
>> break tests etc. and the implementor then has a chance to fix that
>> thanks to constructive criticism.
>
> Yeah, and that's the right way to go.
>
>> If not then we go with Alberto's solution. Fukami, would you still be
>> interested in reviewing Alberto's solution?
>
> Of course! :)
>

> Cheers,
>  fukami

Stefan Wehrmeyer
Projektleiter FragDenStaat.de
stefan.wehrmeyer at okfn.org
+49 151 15550559
Open Knowledge Foundation Deutschland e.V.
Gneisenaustr. 52
10961 Berlin
http://www.okfn.de

Spenden Sie für FragDenStaat.de: