[openspending-dev] Dev meeting: February 5, 2015

Tryggvi Björgvinsson tryggvi.bjorgvinsson at okfn.org
Wed Feb 4 14:02:12 UTC 2015

Hi all,

Tomorrow is the first Thursday of February and we'll continue with our
regular dev meetings. As before the meeting will take place on our IRC
channel: #openspending on Freenode.

You can join via web interface if you want:
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=openspending

We'll also continue with our set up of two separate meetings since our
community stretches around the globe.

* First meeting will be at 12pm (noon) UTC/GMT+0
    * Convert to your timezone:
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html?year=2015&month=1&day=8&hour=12&min=0&sec=0&p1=0

* Second meeting will be at 11pm UTC/GMT+0
    * Convert to your timezone:
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html?year=2015&month=1&day=8&hour=23&min=0&sec=0&p1=0

At the last dev meeting[1] we talked about the micro-services approach
and started splitting out components that would be good to have as
"micro-services" even in a monolithic code base. There was still some
disagreement on to what extent we should do it.

In the end we agreed to work on the two different approaches separately.
One which Friedrich Lindenberg has been spearheading as spendb is a port
of the current monolithic architecture to Flask. The other only exists
as experiments and conclusions about how best to implement the
micro-services approach.

We decided to postpone the decision about which approach to take until
around Open Data Day on February 21 and just have a play with both
approaches to get a better feeling for how things would pan out.
Irrespective of what we'll end up doing both approaches benefit one
another (e.g. micro-services will be developed mostly as Flask apps so
spendb can be re-used to a large extent and some services will be
micro-services in the monolithic base).

So the topic tomorrow is going to be just an overview of what we've
learned and done for each approach and a chance for all of you to ask
away or just talk about whatever you feel like (if you have no real
interest in the architecture).

So we don't have a full agenda for tomorrow. Feel free to bring your own
topic to the table.

/Tryggvi

[1] Logs available at botbot.me:
https://botbot.me/freenode/openspending/2015-01-08/?tz=Etc/UTC