[wsfii-discuss] What content might help one set up a wi-fi network?

Bjarke@DjurslandS.net bjarke at djurslands.net
Sat Aug 25 22:43:04 UTC 2007

Hello Andrius !  :-)

If you like you are very welcome to put some contributions from the
Danish DjurslandS.net experience on the flash drives.

It could surely be a great inspiration in Africa to be informed on how
we succeeded to establish an extremly cheap full surface covering
wireles landscapenet on Djursland, a Danish rural peninsula of 50 km *
60 km. To day we have about 300 antenna amplified main nodes and 6000
antenna amplified local installations at housholds, institutions anf
firms - which each can reach a main node at distances up to 5 km -
giving about 20000 rural individuals broadband access to the Internet -
and forming a rural e-community here with all it benefits for the rural
population. The cost of establishing and running Internet access in
rural areas through wireless landscapenet the Djursland way - 4 megabit
both down and up -, is, all expenses considered over 4 years, only 1/3
of the average expenses that households have to pay in the Danish
cities, for similar cabled-based service. As distances in rural areas is
bigger and population to share expenses is much smaller, the expectation
is that expenses would be much higher than in cities . . . The Djursland
model is "a way to go" not only for rural areas around the globe, but
for all of Africa and other places with a relatively weak economy.

The Computer-Support-community on Djursland who started this huge area
landscapenet hosted the Freifunk.net Summer Convention 2004 on
Djursland, where about 200 net-nerds participated from 36 countries
around the World. That convention both gave birth to the WSFII (World
Summits on Free Information Infrastructures) and to the DIIRWB
(Djursland International Institute of Rural Wireless Broadband).

You can find my report and presentation from DIIRWB to the "VII
Infopoverty World Conference" in the UN Headquarter in New York, April
19 and 20 2007, here:
http://hos.nr-djurs.net/bjarke/DIIRWB-presentation_final-2.pdf
(I was an invited panelist in a panel on "Broadband Satellite Platform
for E-services and Integrated Terrestrial Infrastructures" and the
conference was taking place at 6 video connected localities around the
World).

You find my indepht report on lessons learned from the DjurslandS.net
experience, 52 illustrated pages, delivered March 6, 2007, to InfoDev,
commissioned by the World Bank, here:
http://hos.nr-djurs.net/bjarke/In-Depht_Study_of_the_DjurslandS_net_experience.pdf
(In a global survey to find role-models InfoDev found about 30
interesting networks and asked 7 of them to give an indepht report on
their lessons learned. DjurslandS.net were together with Wireless Ghana
and Nepal Wireless the 3 non-commercial networks of the 7, and all the 3
are involved in the WSFII).

FYI:
DIIRWB and DjurslandS.net contributed to the recent workshop in Winneba
in Ghana with 56 presend recycled accesspoints and material for
production of a similar amount of biquad antennas, and also the needed
differnet tools, and the staff of DIIRWB gave during the workshop
program online video-lectures to the workshop participants and provided
them with know-how material on a special workshop-server. Also special
online support was provided every day during the workshop period between
8 AM until 6 PM. - We believe that training of local netbuilders can be
provided this way, and we want to explore and develop how far we can go.
The essential prerequisites will be 1) A trustworthy local contact
person who wants to build a peoples network, 2) One Internet access, and
3) Forwarded equipment.

Kind regards
Bjarke Nielsen
Founder at DjurslandS.net