[Ckan-users] Clarification on extension on-load behaviors

Jenny Brown jenny.brown at climate.com
Thu Jun 8 21:43:42 UTC 2017

I'm working on a plugin that customizes tags/vocabulary/custom fields.  My
tags may vary between deployments, so I want a way to know when my
extension (or ckan itself) starts up, so I can do one-time initialization
to sync the tags/vocab with the ckan schema, both additions and deletions.

I have a sort-of-working behavior but IPluginObservable functions seem to
indicate that my plugin gets loaded many times during startup.... so it's
not a single-point init() behavior.

What's the right place for an extension to do a one-time configuration on
startup?

What I'm trying to get it to do is add & remove vocabulary and tags within
those vocabularies, and do that once rather than having concurrency issues
and race conditions.

Thank you for ideas!