[od-discuss] MapLight Launches New US Money and Politics Data Set

Andrew Stott andrew.stott at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 2 20:55:37 UTC 2012

To see the discussion on another list about MapLight below.

The licence is at
http://maplight.org/data/get/federal-money-and-politics-dataset/license

>From the point of view of the Open Definition the licence seems to fall on
several grounds:

(1) the free use *only* for uses that are freely available to the public is
contrary to the "redistribution" requirement

(2) the restriction on non-public uses seems contrary to "no discrimination
against fields of endeavour"

(3) the potential requirement to supply traffic statistics seems like a form
of non-financial consideration - would we regard this as a type of "other
fee" in terms of the "redistribution" requirement? (If not, is this a
problem in the Open Definition itself?)

(4) the provision for an iframe with embeddable code that delivers an
advertisement "If you are using data from the MapLight tables "U.S. Federal:
All Contributions" AND if you are displaying such data on a website with
average site traffic of more than 10,000 visits per month" is surely
problematical.  It is hard to defend as a kind of attribution (especially as
there is a separate provision for attribution), but if it is then would we
consider it "onerous" (it is beyond the forms of attribution required in
CC-BY 3.0 clause 4(b) for instance)?  It seems more like another kind of
non-financial consideration for the use of the data.

(5) in the penultimate clause the import of use restrictions set by the
Federal Election Commission requires some test of whether those restrictions
themselves lead to a non-open conclusion.

(6) it's not clear whether the licence modification clause would affect data
already downloaded.  (Although does the Open Definition actually prevent
open licence revocation?)

Regards

Andrew