[od-discuss] MapLight Launches New US Money and Politics Data Set

Andrew Stott andrew.stott at dirdigeng.com
Tue Oct 2 22:24:13 UTC 2012

Tom

Thanks

Are the FEC conditions referred to these from http://www.fec.gov/disclosure.shtml please?-

Notice: Reports and statements filed by political committees may be inspected and copied by anyone. The names and addresses of individual contributors, however, may not be sold or used for any commercial purpose or to solicit any type of contribution or donation, such as political or charitable contributions. 2 U.S.C. §438(a)(4); 11 CFR 104.15. This restriction applies to Federal reports and statements. Any person who violates this restriction is subject to the penalties of 2 U.S.C. §437g

In a domestic context a licence condition can be unnecessary if the law prohibits the use anyway, although that leaves the problem of off-shore use.

The use of individuals' names and addresses on public registers for direct mail etc has come up in other contexts, eg Directors' details on company registers.   Data Protection Law may help in these circumstances (no consent for the processing), although there is also the problem of off-shore use here to.

Regards

Andrew