[od-discuss] Creative Commons license compatibility draft published

ISHIKAWA,chiaki ishikawa at yk.rim.or.jp
Fri May 2 23:53:21 UTC 2014

(2014/05/03 6:54), Kat Walsh wrote:
> Greetings! I know many people on this list are interested in this
> area, so I hope this post is not unwelcome.
>
> Creative Commons has published a draft of its process and criteria for
> determining licenses compatible with the 4.0 ShareAlike licenses. This
> is still a draft and open for community consultation until the 28th of
> May, and we would welcome comments from the Open Definition community:
> http://wiki.creativecommons.org/ShareAlike_compatibility_process_and_criteria
>
> The main venue for discussion is the cc-licenses mailing list:
>
> Thanks,
> Kat

Hi,

This is off-topic, but CC comes up and I am tempted to post the following.

I have posted the possible improvement/modification to the Japanese
version of Open Definition 1.1 in Word format with change history.

When I posted it I mentioned:

> - OD needs a mechanism to keep track of translated material,
>    especially when a new version of the original English is issued.
>
>  - OD needs a requirement that every translated version should carry a
>    disclaimer that, the translated version is offered as a courtesy of
>    the world society's convenience, but unless otherwise noted, the
>    English version is the authorized copy when a discrepancy is noted
>    between the meanings of the documents in the original English and
>    translation in other language.
>
>    ("unless otherwise noted" - happens if and when someone spends a
>    fortunate to translate the document carefully with legal counselor
>    even.)

I should add that

  -3 the translator SHOULD assemble the then most current TRANSLATION of
    popular and referred documents such as CC or Open source definition
    (OSD is referred by verbatim or almost verbatim by OD in a few
    places)  its URLs, and attach the URL as reference section or
    something so that the future would-be users find it easy to
    compare the translation of the "borrowed" sections from the other
    widely-known documents. (My point is to make the translation in line
with existing documents. Arbitrary change of words or phrases in
translation is not desirable.)

   -4 the translator SHOULD add a means for contacting them. Should the
     need for revision arise, it is polite to ask the opinion of the
     original translator even if the translation is put in a CC-like status.

I hope I will have a time to produce the purely text version and put it
into the hg repository soon so that pure text diff is produced easily.

The point 4 above is acute. I have tried to get in touch with the
original translator, but no luck yet...
I wonder if the original translator(s) read this mailing list at all.

TIA

Chiaki Ishikawa