[od-discuss] German Data license 2.0

Mike Linksvayer ml at gondwanaland.com
Tue Sep 2 20:41:34 UTC 2014

On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 2:21 AM, Daniel Dietrich
<daniel.dietrich at okfn.org> wrote:
> And here is one more comment from Dr. Helene Groß on the question why the license public-law-based:
>
> “It is controversial discussed if public authorities have to release their data under public law or under private law. In many cases authorities tend to choose public law. The " Open Data License Germany" can be used both ways. From the user’s point of view, the decision for a public-law-based license doesn't imply any disadvantages."

Interesting. Some follow-up questions:
* What in the German Open Data Licenses allow them to be used both
(presumably public or private law) ways?
* How can one tell when authorities are choosing public law?
* Can other open licenses be used both ways?

These questions ought not have any bearing on open definition
compliance, but I'd be more comfortable if I understood exactly how
proposed licenses are intended to operate and how that intention is
reflected in license text.