[od-discuss] OD conformant proposal: Open Government Licence v3.0

Herb Lainchbury herb at dynamic-solutions.com
Wed Sep 24 15:36:32 UTC 2014

Hi Jo,

I notice that there are several references to OGL v2.0 where I think the
intention would be for the this license to refer to itself.

For example in the attribution statement:
   Contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government
Licence v2.0.

The other changes I see are primarily punctuation and capitalization
changes.

One other comment I would make purely as information and it wouldn't affect
whether or not I consider it conformant, is the convention around version
numbers is that for minor changes I would expect the version number to
increase after the decimal point.  So, this would seem like a version v2.1
revision to me.  As it stands, v3.0 would usually imply a major change.

I converted the license to markdown so I could do a diff to see the
changes.  Here's the diff:

19c19
< * exploit the Information commercially and non-commercially for example,
by combining it with other Information, or by including it in your own
product or application.
---
> * exploit the Information commercially and non-commercially, for example,
by combining it with other Information, or by including it in your own
product or application.
21c21
< You must, where you do any of the above:
---
> You must (where you do any of the above):
23d22
<
31a31

37c37
< * information that has neither been published nor disclosed under
information access legislation (including the Freedom of Information Acts
for the UK and Scotland) by or with the consent of the Information Provider;
---
> * Information that has neither been published nor disclosed under
information access legislation (including the Freedom of Information Acts
for the UK and Scotland) by or with the consent of the Information Provider;
41c41,42
< * other intellectual property rights, including patents, trade marks, and
design rights; and identity documents such as the British Passport
---
> * other intellectual property rights, including patents, trade marks, and
design rights; and
> * identity documents such as the British Passport.
47c48
< Non warranty
---
> No warranty
68c69
< means any Information Provider who has the authority to offer Information
under the terms of this licence. It includes the Controller of Her
Majesty’s Stationery Office, who has the authority to offer Information
subject to Crown copyright and Crown database rights, and Information
subject to copyright and database rights which have been assigned to or
acquired by the Crown, under the terms of this licence.
---
> means any Information Provider which has the authority to offer
Information under the terms of this licence or the Controller of Her
Majesty’s Stationery Office, who has the authority to offer Information
subject to Crown copyright and Crown database rights and Information
subject to copyright and database right that has been assigned to or
acquired by the Crown, under the terms of this licence.
80c81
< The Controller of HMSO has authority to license Information subject to
copyright and database right owned by the Crown. The extent of the
Controller’s offer to license this Information under the terms of this
licence is set out on The National Archives website.
---
> The Controller of HMSO has authority to license Information subject to
copyright and database right owned by the Crown. The extent of the
Controller’s offer to license this Information under the terms of this
licence is set out in the UK Government Licensing Framework.

Herb