[Okfn-pk] Mohsin from Lahore and my vision for Open Knowledge

mohsin khawaja email at mohsinkhawaja.me
Mon Mar 9 16:24:00 UTC 2015

Asalam-o-Alaikum all,

I recently read about "OKFN" and naturally got excited when I heard about
the Pakistan Chapter "Open Knowledge Pakistan".
I have exchanged some emails with Nouman Nazim, and I thought it to be a
good time to introduce myself to the group and share some of my thoughts.

My name is Mohsin Khawaja and I live in Lahore and I am Digital Marketer by
profession. [blogging, social media, tech, gadgets & marketing occur to me
naturally]

Having said that, I am very passionate about Pakistan, about living here
and making a contribution in the society.

There are lot of inspirations for me to join the Open Knowledge forum:

   1. General awareness in Pakistan about Government, bureaucracy and other
   related things is very limited. I think we can overcome this "citizen
   literacy" gap via this forum.
   2. Business practices in Pakistan no matter how small or large are not
   transparent. Substandard products float into the market and people get
   awareness very late. We can not only create a sense of responsibility in
   the business sector, but we can make people more aware about their consumer
   choices. So that their decisions are more logical.
   3. Similar approaches can be applied in Health Care, Medicine, Education
   and so on.

However, I am not a very knowledgeable person in any of the above-mentioned
areas yet. But I am ready to invest time to improve my learning and share
it with the people.

Another suggestion is that we should take steps to make this knowledge
available in Urdu as well. Not only because Urdu is more easily
understandable in Pakistan and our public reach will be maximum. But also
because it is our national language, if we will not produce quality content
in it then who will ?
I am ready to help in the translation of existing data, if this suggestion
appeals to the team.

I once created a blog http://www.pakistanijunction.com/ - but lost the
passion in due course, but I may revive it now. Is it ok if I share about
these OKFN Pakistan on this blog ?

Willing to hear from other members.

regards

Mohsin Khawaja