[open-data-day] Using open spending during ODD

Anders Pedersen anders.pedersen at okfn.org
Wed Feb 6 09:50:02 GMT 2013

 Hi Stéphane,

Great to hear that you're planning to use Open Spending on Canadian data
for ODD.

As for your question: You can do a lot in one day, especially if the data
is nice and clean. I would suggest that you examine the data available as
well as assess the need for data cleaning beforehand.

Here are a few guides, which may be helpful to prepare the data you have
retrieved:
- Both budgetary and transactional data can be stored in Open Spending:
http://openspending.org/help/types.html
- How to clean your data before uploading it:
http://openspending.org/help/data-cleansing.html

We would be glad to help you prepare for the event. Let me know in what
other ways we can assist.

Best,
Anders

-
Anders Pedersen
Community Coordinator
Openspending <http://openspending.org/>
Open Knowledge Foundation <http://okfn.org/>
Twitter: anpe
Skype: anpehej

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 2:57 AM, Stéphane Guidoin <stephane at opennorth.ca>wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> With some canadian cities hosting an ODD event, we are evaluating to work
> collaboratively to get some canadian data in Open Spending. At least for
> cities and eventually for province or federal level.
>
> Besides the information available on the open spending page/github, does
> anybody have some experience in gathering budget and spending data and put
> them in Open Spending?
> Could we hope to get something that works within a day of work?
>
> Cheers
>
> Stéphane

Anders Pedersen
Community Coordinator