[OpenGLAM] Open Gallery by Google

heath rezabek heath.rezabek at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 13:31:20 UTC 2013

This is why I think it could be a very useful role for the OKF (or someone)
to have some kind of 'Openness Award" they can grant to organizations, or
even some form of it that can call attention to projects that seem open but
don't meet the Open Definition.  Such an effort would yield press awareness
over time, and change as well.

- Heath

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 7:23 AM, Joris Pekel <jpekel at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah it is a question that is on my mind as well. Last week there was in
> interview in the Guardian with Amid Sood, head of the Google cultural
> institute. A very hyping article and they addressed the rights in a
> paragraph saying:
>
> "The final thing was the rights. Essentially, who owns the rights? We
> worked really hard with our legal teams and the museums so that we could
> say to them: you will always own the rights and you have the right to take
> down content at any time. Once you cross those perceptual, legal barriers,
> that's when it gets interesting; that's when the excitement begins."
>

> http://www.theguardian.com/culture-professionals-network/culture-professionals-blog/2013/dec/03/amit-sood-google-cultural-institute-art-project
>
> Would be good to have a more in depth chat with him about this :) Anybody
> happens to have his contact details?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Joris
>

> 2013/12/11 Dorota Kawęcka <kawecka at innemuzeum.pl>
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I'm very curious to hear your opinions about the new Google project -
>> Google Open Gallery. Only yesterday evening I got sent the link by two
>> non-GLAM people. I wonder how open is Open Gallery - I've briefly looked
>> through a Polish contemporary art museum site on this service (
>> http://mocak.culturalspot.org/home) and I didn't seem to find any
>> information on copyrights to the artworks. Does anyone know their T&Cs? I'm
>> still waiting for my account to be activated.
>>
>> best,
>>
>> Dorota Kawecka

Heath Rezabek // labs.vessel.cc
Long Now Foundation (Intern) // Manual for Civilization Project //
longnow.org
Open Knowledge Foundation // Texas Ambassador for the OKFn // okfn.org
Icarus Interstellar // FarMaker Team // icarusinterstellar.org