[OpenGLAM] Hack the Bells

Sarah Stierch sarah.stierch at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 16:20:00 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

This year I served as the Susan B. Miller Fellow at the Berkeley Center for
New Media at the University of California, Berkeley. My main project
focused around my obsession with carillons..I created Hack the Bells, the
world’s first carillon remix competition. The twist? All works submitted
were required to be released under a Creative Commons Share-Alike 4.0
license.

I had judges from the Rijksmuseum (hi Lizzy!), New Media Consortium,
University of California, Berkeley, and yes, the carilloneur of Maastricht,
Weert and Heerlen in the Netherlands (he also plays violin in the world
famous Johann Strauss Orchestra with Andre Rieu). We had over 30
submissions, the majority (31) which are available on Wikimedia Commons.

We awarded a grand prize of $700, which includes the acquisition of the
piece at the University of California’s music library and the Anton Brees
carillon library in Florida. Three runner-up prizes of $100 were awarded.
Submissions came from 10 countries. I wrote a blog about the winners:

http://wp.me/p1i5o1-5W

I’m happy to talk with anyone off list if you are interested in logistics
regarding the implementation of this type of contest/project. I have heard
it time and time again - contemporary art and open licenses don’t mix (no
pun intended) - but that is simply not true. If you make it accessible,
with incentive, they will come, and as a former gallery director of a
contemporary art gallery who received 200+ submitted works every time I
announced a call for artists, I was really amazed at receiving 30
submissions for this competition give our requirements and unique theme.

The works submitted are varied - we received poems, paintings, digital art,
music, video, and epic installation pieces that utilize open source
technology to make the campanile at Berkeley into a real interactive work
of art. And now, you can remix and reuse them all you wish, too.

Thank you to everyone who spread the word and especially to the jury and
artists.
Sarah

--

Sarah Stierch

-----

Diverse and engaging consulting for your organization.

www.sarahstierch.com