[OpenGLAM] Fwd: Smithsonian data available for National Day of Civic Hacking!

Estermann Beat beat.estermann at bfh.ch
Wed Jun 4 08:48:10 UTC 2014

Hi Joris,

The first point I was trying to make was that the directory should be editable by people who have collections to add so we can crowdsource that task.
At present, it seems not to be working, as the people having access to the document are actually not making the effort to add new stuff as it comes up.

The second point I was trying to make was that the directory should be machine-readable for anyone out there on the Internet (publish it as open data).

And in the longer run we should think about how the directory fits into the larger landscape of open data / open content platforms. Some GLAMs already publish their datasets on a national CKAN-instance. – Ideally, the metadata for these datasets would be harvested and not copied-pasted manually. I am also not sure to what extent we are doubling the efforts of Europeana here. I guess we could think of the OpenGLAM directory of open collections as the pipeline for ingestion into Europeana and Wikimedia Commons.

Apart from that, it would be a useful tool for the preparation of Open Cultural Data Hackathons, and the added value compared to Europeana, Wikimedia Commons or existing open data platforms would be that we could also link to applications that have been developed to make use of that data.

The USP of the directory could be that:

-       it has the ambition to list all open GLAM collections worldwide

-       it provides information about applications making use of these open GLAM collections

-       it provides a tracking system showing which collections are also available within Wikimedia Commons and/or Europeana, DPLA, or similar

Furthermore, we could think about how further to support Open Cultural Data Hackathons at an international level.

My 2 cents,

Beat