[OpenGLAM] Discovery without search - an interview with George Oates & more

Joris Pekel jpekel at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 15:01:54 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

Hope you are all doing great.
I am quite happy to announce that the third interview that I did during the
EuropeanaTech conference is now published. This time I talked with George
Oates who has been involved in many great projects such as the Open Library
and the Wayback machine, and she is also the founder of Flickr Commons.

George is a designer by profession and she has I think some really
interesting ideas about how we have to deal with the immens blobs of
content that we are getting out there. I particular like her point (which
is made by many other people such as Seb Chan, see the previous interview)
about search boxes and how they are very often not the best way to navigate
cultural content. They give no guidance, no context, and they easily become
illegible to a user.

Plenty of stuff to think about. Read the full interview here:
http://pro.europeana.eu/blogpost/discovery-without-search-an-interview-with-george-oates

The previous interview was with Dan Cohen, executive director of the DPLA,
about their first two years and how they see the future. We talked about
the power and difficulties of aggregating large sets of data and how they
are working to get all of the US connected to them with their service hubs
model.
http://pro.europeana.eu/blogpost/looking-to-the-future-with-the-dpla-an-interview-with-dan-cohen

First interview was with Seb Chan, Director of Digital & Emerging
Technologies at Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum, about how a
museum can develop itself in these digital times. Both online and offline.
http://pro.europeana.eu/blogpost/making-a-museum-part-of-the-internet-an-interview-with-seb-chan

Hope you find them interesting. Comments? Let me know.

Cheers,

Joris