[open-science] open access perils? (#RIP @aaronscwarz)

Paola Di Maio paola.dimaio at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 18:00:38 UTC 2013

Thomas

> I can see where you're going with it, but I feel that making this sort of
> 'martyrs list' almost canonizes the people on it.

yes, that's the idea

>That's a dangerous game to play.
I know full well

> Also, not everyone agrees about what should be open - this list is about
> openness in science, and of the three names you give, only Swartz was
> handling scientific knowledge.

Yes but opennes in science is only one of the factors related to 'open
knowldge' at large

>That I support open access to scientific
> research doesn't automatically imply that I support disclosure of political
> information through Wikileaks.

of course, and the opposite is also true, I mean that someone
interested in open access to scientific
research is also intersted in open access to full disclosure of facts
relating to the political civil
and military aspects of a country/world

> Finally, we are usually careful to work within the law, trying to get it
> changed where we think it is unjust. Civil disobedience has its place in
> changing the law, but we may not all agree on what actions are justifiable.

I totally agree. To help to change the law, reducing the risks of
injecting systemic
weaknesses, helps to understand the maneuvers of information politics and the
system of power manipulation and control behind it

SIDENOTE

> That's a very big conclusion to draw from very little evidence.

DIsagree. It's a simple conclusion drawn from sufficient evidence :-)

check the dates of the wikileak scandal, the date of the alleged rape
claim was made, and the date of the alleged rape took place. (which
was about having intercourse without using shields btw) From the
evidence I found in various reports I can see no other possible
conclusion. That the legal system
is perfectly capable of ignoring evidence , is part of the problem
society is not worrying enough imho

 >The publicly available facts are simply insufficient to say whether
the charges against
> him in Sweden are genuine.

I agree, but that's a another issue that seems to support by sidenote argument

Cheers

PDM